Day Five . . . Books, Part 2

My fiction list covers all 60+ years... 

1.  I loved this little book as a child. "The Boss of the Barnyard".


Among the 'other stories' was my all time favourite childhood story, "The Reasonable Rabbit". In fact, I thought I was the reasonable rabbit. This little rabbit saved his friends and neighbours from the big bad bobcat! By the way, this is one of the first books ever illustrated by Richard Scary.


And from there I have had a wonderful time in the world of books.


2.  The Narnia Series by CS Lewis has been a fun read. When our kids were young the four of us read it together and we have all read it again and again, on our own. Every filmed version of these stories has our attention.


3.  Sweet story, "A Prayer For Owen Meany", full of life lessons.


4.  This book, "What's Bred in the Bone", is part of a trilogy. Love Robertson Davies' storytelling ability. He grabs you and holds you till he is done with the tale. Great stories.


5.  Willa Cather was introduced to me by my daughter-in-law, Kim. "My Antonia" is only one of the stories by Ms. Cather that I have enjoyed.


6.  This is a long time ago read but I remember the enjoyment I got from "A Bend in the River" by Naipaul.


7.  When I was a young mother my neighbour, a med student at Loma Linda University, thought I needed some mental stimulation and gave me this book, recommending others. "Atlas Shrugged" made an impression on my young, naive mind, that is for sure , spurring me on to read anything else by Ayn Rand.


8. There are 4 books in this set. Loved 'The Raj Quartet' and highly recommend it. "The Jewel in the Crown" is no. 1 in the series and once you have finished this one you will not be able to call it done until you have devoured all four. But then, for me, any story set in India gets my attention.


9.  Like this one... "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry is a great story also set in India. Maybe it is time to read this one again.


10.  But then there are the books by Wallace Stegner. Whenever I go to a used book store I look for anything by Mr. Stegner, fiction or non. He dealt mostly with the American West and does a fine job making you fall in love with that part of the world.

Thank you to all the people who contributed book titles to the FB challenge. Love to see what others are reading. So nice to have the love of such good books in common with others.

Now I am off to bed where I am hoping to get some more read in "Zorro" by Isabel Allende! I like it way more than I thought I would. I bought the book because we stayed in a hotel in Mexico that boasted that they were the birthplace of Zorro! Not according to this book, but then the man was 'just' a legend!

Happy reading to you all.
And above all, be well.




Comments

Popular Posts